Casually Tailored: A Universal Look
January 13th, 2015
Not sure what to wear? Here is a fool proof outfit that will work for just about any occasion: tailored flannel jacket (blazer or suit jacket), slim oxford shirt, and tapered jeans.
Here are three examples.
Adding the waistcoat can give the look a little depth (and maybe a little more formality), and a felt fedora was made for this type of combination. This is the same unstructured jacket that we recently discussed. It’s a perfect match for a blue oxford shirt and indigo jeans.
Gold face with a crocodile watchband, gold belt buckle with a crocodile strap. It’s all about the details.
- Brown Felt hat by Stetson ·
- Vintage Watch with Crocodile Band by Rolex ·
- Brown Crocodile Belt by Vintage ·
- Indigo denim jeans by JBrand ·
- Cordovan “Jefferson” wingtips by Allen Edmonds
- · Blue oxford shirt by Thom Browne
The best part about a flannel suit is that it doubles as a blazer. Grab the jacket with a pair of slim washed jeans, a neutral cashmere scarf, and a pair of cognac chelsea boots and you’re ready for just about anything.
- Camel cashmere scarf by Ralph Lauren Polo ·
- Brown Winton woven braided leather belt by Trafalgar ·
- Jeans by Natural Selection ·
- “Remington” leather chelsea boots by Aldo
If it’s a little cooler out, reach for a simple chesterfield overcoat, a cashmere beanie and a sharp pair of leather gloves. These are all investment pieces that can be worn again and again in a variety of situations. Use our interactive Style Guide for more examples.
- Grey cashmere beanie by JCrew ·
- Grey flannel glenplaid jacket (part of suit) ·
- Black woven leather gloves by Hilts and Willard ·
- Grey jeans by Red Cotton Denim ·
- Black pebbled leather kilted chukka boots by J. FitzPatrick
- · Black chesterfield overcoat by Brooks Brothers Black Fleece
- · White oxford shirt by Thom Browne
Thanks, as always, for reading.
Yours in style,
Photography by Alex Crawford.