Early Spring: Ankle Boot Season
May 13th, 2013
Boots aren’t only for the winter.
Here are three sleek, streamlined shapes that are perfect for Spring.
1. Suede Oxford Middies
Early Spring is one of my favorites times of the year – when the sun and skirts are out, but the breeze is enough to stay cool in a thin sweater or light layer – like this awesome vintage suede sweater/jacket hybrid.
A simple recipe for an early-Spring casual look: tortoise shades + western denim shirt + deep-colored chinos + lace-up ankle boots.
I used to only wear suede footwear in the Fall/Winter. Lately though, I’ve been gravitating toward these “Hutchins” captoe boots by Johnston & Murphy (basically a classic captoe brogue, just a little taller) and been wearing them with everything from tailored suits to beat-up jeans.
The softer, “dustier” texture of suede looks rich in warmer climates and is a smooth compliment to Spring color palettes.
- Tortoise shades Vintage by Hugo Boss x Carrera ·
- Caramel Suede & knit sweater/jacket Vintage ·
- Denim shirt by RRL ·
- Brown woven belt from KMart ·
- Forest green cotton suit trousers ·
- “Hutchins” captoe boots by Johnston & Murphy ·
- Canvas & leather tote bag by Mismo
2. Leather Chukkas
Suited and booted is a confident, sexy look – just make sure the suit fits properly (as always) and the boots are sleek & minimal in proportion (not bulky beat-up Red Wings, for example).
Just because it’s Spring doesn’t mean your look has to be all bright or bold in color. I like to keep it city-sleek in grey/white/black…call it the modern day Reservoir Dog.
It’s the fabrics, not the colors, that make this look warm-weather-appropriate (tropical weight wool suit, poplin cotton shirt, silk knit tie).
A sleek, well-shaped leather chukka might be the most versatile footwear available for men.
Ever since I got these beauties from J. Fitzpatrick I’ve been wearing them non-stop, with anything from a t-shirt & jeans to a double-breasted suit.
- Black/Grey shades by Matsuda Eyewear ·
- White spread collar shirt ·
- Black silk knit tie by Ralph Lauren Black Label ·
- Black pebbled leather kilted chukka boots by J. FitzPatrick
- · Charcoal double-breasted suit
3. Slip-on Chelsea
It’s Spring, get to know the art of simplicity.
A lightweight trucker jacket is an obvious go-to for the season, but it doesn’t have to be the predictable denim.
This cotton twill version is just another one of those awesome vintage pieces we picked up for the Articles of Style SHOP. Major updates coming soon…
Chelseas, like these burnished oxbloods by Allen Edmonds, are the loafers of boots; slip them on weather you’re dressing up or down.
The medallion on the toe makes them slightly dressier (great for suits too) and the Goodyear-welted rubber sole makes them comfortable and perfect for the rain season.
- Gold Plated hand-engraved shades by Matsuda ·
- Brown Cotton twill denim jacket by Levis (Vintage) ·
- White henley t-shirt by Vince ·
- Suede watch strap by Alpha Bravo Straps (etsy) ·
- Brown American Bison Belt by Trafalgar ·
- Washed jeans by Ralph Lauren Denim & Supply ·
- ‘Haight’ chelsea boot by Allen Edmonds
Thanks, as always, for reading.
Yours in style,
Articles of Style
Photography by Alex Crawford.